English Readability Test
About Readability Score
We use Flesch-Kincaid Readability Index. It is a measure of the readability of English text. It estimates the complexity of a text and helps determine the level of education needed for someone to easily understand it. The index is calculated using the average number of words per sentence and the average number of syllables per word.
The index usually ranges from 0 to 100, with higher values indicating easier-to-read texts. Here’s a general interpretation of the index values:
- 0-29: Very difficult (college graduate level)
- 30-49: Difficult (college level)
- 50-59: Fairly difficult (10th to 12th grade)
- 60-69: Standard (8th and 9th grade)
- 70-79: Fairly easy (7th grade)
- 80-89: Easy (6th grade)
- 90-100: Very easy (5th grade and below)
2 Tips to Improve Your Writing (Readability Index)
- Use shorter and simpler words.
- Use short sentences.